Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 107433-en_US
We are seeking a proficient Research Specialist who with a sophisticated understanding of specific, advanced techniques and a solid foundation in the underlying science, gained from professional experience. Works independently and manages daily research projects.
The Research Specialist participates in planning experiments and evaluating/interpreting test results utilizing detailed knowledge of research laboratory procedures and practices. Capable of independent judgment in the selection, development, performance and evaluation of research methods; operates and maintains appropriate equipment.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Additional duties may include several of the following, and experience would be beneficial: Performs cell culture and processes biofluids and tissues from human donors and animal models.
- Performs fast protein liquid chromatography (FPLC)-based size separation to obtain proteins and protein complexes, confirming identity of selected isolated proteins. Isolates RNA, performs quality control, and prepares RNA sequencing libraries using methods including advanced, ligation-free preparations.
- Separation and characterization of extracellular vesicles.
- Assists with analysis and graphical representation of RNA-seq data.
- Troubleshoots and optimizes techniques based on scientific knowledge and research experience.
- Liases with bioinformatics collaborators.
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic and RNase-free technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments which include: conventional and real-time PCR, electrophoretic separations (agarose and acrylamide gels), Western blot, ELISA, cloning and/or subcloning, extracellular vesicle isolation and characterization, electron microscopy, nanoparticle tracking analysis, resistive pulse sensing, flow cytometry, and other molecular and cellular biology techniques.
- Learn and train in additional procedures in order to expand skills, foster individual growth, and directly contribute to and facilitate laboratory success.
- Uses various software applications, such as spreadsheets, relational databases, electronic mail, World Wide Web, statistical packages, and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and/or test reports.
- Participates in the organization and operation of the laboratory, including oversight of undergraduate student researchers. Performs general lab maintenance duties and maintains excellent written records and electronic databases.
- Uses universal safety precautions to protect self and co-workers from biohazardous materials, including blood-borne pathogens. Completes annual university biohazard/universal precaution/radiation safety training, as appropriate. Monitors biohazard/radiation safety standards and proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents and/or radiation sources in the workplace.
Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Work produced is subject to precise measures of quantity and quality.
- Minimal suggested skills are proficiencies with pipetting, cell culture, and RNA isolation.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard.
- Handling by seizing, holding, grasping, turning or otherwise working with the hand or hands, but without finger dexterity.
- Sitting in a normal seated position for extended periods of time.
- Occasionally lifting, carrying objects weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Occasionally pushing, pulling objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
- One year laboratory experience performing relevant techniques.
- Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
Classified Title: Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $16.61-$22.83-$29.04 HRLY (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Comp Med Retrovirus Bio Laboratory
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.