Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Type: Full Time
Internal Number: 1154668
The Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC) Physician-Scientist is responsible for enhancing the care delivered to older Veterans within the VA Maryland Health Care System (VAMHCS). The VAMHCS GRECC Physician is a research investigator and clinical provider who develops, improves, and evaluates new models of health care delivery for elderly Veterans.
The GRECC Physician’s primary duty station will be the Baltimore VA Maryland Healthcare facility on Greene Street in Baltimore. Given the Baltimore Geriatric Research Education Clinical Center’s (BGRECC) footprint, the incumbent may be required to be present at the BVAMC Annex or Loch Raven Campus. This employee will report to the BGRECC Director. The incumbent could/would supervise staff associated with research projects (i.e. research assistance, lab staff).
The GRECC Physician develops research projects to improve or evaluate the diagnostic, therapeutic, rehabilitative, and patient education modalities and strategies pertaining to acute and chronic problems and disabilities in the elderly. These responsibilities involve disseminating results from clinical demonstration and research projects. The position demands all the skills associated with developing independently funded research projects as well as communication and managerial skills. It is highly preferred that applicants hold a Maryland Medical License as our resident training is not only at the VAMHCS but University of Maryland Medical Center. An academic appointment and Clinical Privileges with University of Maryland would be required to practice at the University. The GRECC Physician is required to sustain an independent portfolio of funded research in a field of aging and to conduct research in their primary area of expertise that results in peer-reviewed publications. The ideal candidate is a fellowship-trained geriatrician who has an established track record of conducting scientific or education research, the ability to work independently with little supervision in devising and implementing strategies for delivering GRECC and Geriatrics Service clinical programs. The incumbent will also have to assist in the selection, training, evaluation and mentoring as part of the VA/UMB Geriatric Fellowship. This would include but not be limited to serving as a member of the Fellowship Program Evaluation Committee, rotating on as attending of record for the Geriatric Inpatient Consult Team, Fellows Continuity Clinic, and other specialty clinics.
- Acting as a consultant to clinical services.
- Documenting procedures, consultations, and healthcare decisions in the medical record.
- Communicating emergent findings directly to the treating physician /Service in a timely manner.
- Directing the activities of residents, technologists, and nurses assisting them. Teaching of residents, medical students, allopathic medicine students and other healthcare personnel who seek training within the field of Geriatrics.
- Participating in quality assurance activities to improve patient safety, performance, and quality of care.
- Development of, and adherence to, standard procedures and protocols.
- Maintaining a safe environment.
- Ensuring patient privacy and confidentiality of patient medical information; ensuring accurate CPT coding.
- Ensuring compliance with federal statues, VA directives and polices, and The Joint Commission standards.
- Support the continuous quality improvement of geriatric clinical care by offering and assessing individual and systemic solutions for organizational, technical and scientific problems relevant to the care of elderly Veterans.
- Test, refine, and evaluate the efficacy of delivery of new research findings bearing on the health and health care of the elderly Veteran population.
- The GRECC Physician will support clinical demonstration and education projects.
- The incumbent will have knowledge of the processes for Reusable Medical Equipment (RME) as required by this position. The incumbent will be required to maintain current knowledge of the Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) which document the processes and procedures for cleaning, disinfection, sterilization and preparation of RME appropriate to this position. The incumbent will be able to demonstrate their ability to utilize an acceptable proficiency in the use of RME appropriate to this position.
GRECC Physicians must be board certified in either internal medicine (ABIM), or neurology with ideally additional fellowship training in either geriatrics or one of the internal medicine subspecialities. Proficient in the English language with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP): This position is eligible for the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP), a student loan payment reimbursement program.
Recruitment Incentive (Sign-on Bonus): Relocation/Recruitment may be authorized for highly qualified applicants
Pay: Competitive salary, annual performance bonus, regular salary increases
Paid Time Off: 50-55 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13 days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year and possible 5 day paid absence for CME)
Retirement: Traditional federal pension (5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions by VA
Insurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into retirement)
Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US State or territory
CME: Must be full-time with board certification
Malpractice: Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
Contract: No Physician Employment Contract and no significant restriction on moonlighting
About the Area:
As a modern health care facility, the Baltimore VA Medical Center offers Veterans state-of-the-art technology and clinical services. The Baltimore VA Medical Center is the acute medical and surgical care facility for the VA Maryland Health Care System and offers a full range of inpatient, outpatient, and primary care services. The Baltimore VA Medical Center is located in a vibrant city neighborhood on the campus of the University of Maryland at Baltimore and is within walking distance of Oriole Park at Camden Yards, M&T Bank Stadium (home of the Baltimore Ravens), Lexington Market and the Inner Harbor.