Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 109235-en_US
We are seeking a Business Apps Lead who will be responsible for the creation, implementation, maintenance, performance, production support and documentation of various departmental and enterprise-wide application systems. This includes but is not limited to the installation, modification, and testing of new and/or upgraded applications (packages or home grown), operating systems, file structures, hardware, communication devices, and productivity tools. Applies analysis, techniques and procedures to gather and then translate business requirements into functional/technical specifications and designs. Using functional specifications and designs, produces all or part of the deliverables. Maintains databases and application system code.
The Business Apps Lead is responsible for full life cycle of large/long-term highly complex projects. Typically manages multiple projects of varying complexities. Based on expert technical knowledge, skills and experience, develops broad-based solutions involving multifaceted technologies, and business processes. Leads overall strategy, design & architecture for solutions.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- The responsibilities listed below are typical examples of the work performed by this position. Not all duties assigned to this position are included, nor is it expected that everyone in this position will be assigned every job responsibility.
Analysis & Requirements Gathering
- Define highly complex business/clinical/education problems by meeting with clients to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes. Provide written documentation of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues.
- Gather highly complex system requirements by meeting with clients and researching existing technology to understand the business requirements and possible solutions for new applications.
Design & Development
- Develop detailed tasks and project plans by analyzing project scope and milestones for highly complex projects in order to ensure product is delivered in a timely fashion according to software lifecycle standards. Direct lower-level staff by reviewing tasks and milestones for adherence to quality of deliverables.
- Write functional/technical specifications from the highly complex system requirements, putting them into functional and technical descriptions for use by programmers and business analysts to develop technical solutions. Direct lower-level staff by reviewing their completed work.
- Develop/change data input, files/database structures, data transformation, algorithms, and data output by using appropriate computer language/tools to provide technical solutions for highly complex application development tasks. Direct lower-level staff by reviewing their work.
- Document code and associated processes by adhering to development methodologies, adding code comments and appropriate documentation to various knowledge-based system(s) to simplify code maintenance and to improve support. Direct lower-level staff by reviewing their work.
- Provide monitoring and guidance in application design and development to more junior staff. Give direction and leadership in techniques and tools to lower-level staff.
- Provide experienced leadership for strategic planning in designing and developing comprehensive innovative integrated solutions.
Testing & Documentation
- Create and document highly complex test scenarios using the appropriate testing tools to validate and verify application functionality.
- Test all changes by using the appropriate highly complex test scenarios to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handling in a meaningful way.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end-user references.
- Mentor junior staff in testing tools and technologies by reviewing their work.
Implementation & Maintenance
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Monitor changes and resolve highly complex problems requiring the highest level of technical expertise by responding as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Provide support by investigating and resolving highly complex issues to ensure prompt, effective service.
Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Must possess all requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities as posted in the supplemental section.
- Must demonstrate strong critical thinking and analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to work on multiple priorities effectively.
- Ability to prioritize conflicting demands.
- Ability to execute assigned project tasks within established schedule.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the service of users and colleagues.
- Writes and communicates clearly and concisely.
- Possesses sound documentation skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must demonstrate exemplary customer service skills.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Six years of related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Knowledge in the assigned application as well as the platform on which it runs.
Classified Title: Sr. Software Engineer
Working Title: Business Apps Lead
Starting Salary Range: $83,100-$114,230-$145,360 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Mon.-Fri / 8:30 AM -5:00 PM
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Homewood Campus
Department name: Engineering Business Office
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.