New Market, Maryland
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 107458-en_US
We are seeking a Custodian-2nd Shift who will Clean office buildings, laboratories, classrooms, and/or outside areas. Moves furniture, appliances and/or equipment.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Cleans, sweeps, vacuums, and polishes floors.
- Uses various tools, equipment, and cleaning materials to include, but not limited to hand and power scrubbing and polishing equipment, small and large vacuum cleaners, large commercial type buffer, broom, dust brush, dust pan, wet and dry mop, bucket mop wringer, special cleaning solution, and chemical cleaners.
- Cleans identified or assigned areas/spaces with required cleaners and disinfecting solutions.
- Cleans walls, windows, window blinds and shades, ceilings, and doors. May work from ladders or scaffolding.
- Replenishes towels, soap, toilet tissue, linen, and other supplies as required.
- Inspects exterior and interior of building for service issues and report all damages, malfunctions and needed repairs to supervisor.
- Removes trash from assigned areas. Moves furniture, miscellaneous equipment, supplies and/or recyclable materials, empties large and small trash containers, removes miscellaneous debris and discarded building materials such as broken plaster, wood, and brick.
- Removes recyclable materials and maintains appropriate separation.
- Transports biohazard containers to designated area.
- Removes snow, ice and debris from building entrances, sidewalks and other areas as required.
- Maintains equipment and work areas in clean and orderly condition.
- Observes safety precautions and properly uses equipment and products.
- Sets up and removes furniture, miscellaneous equipment and supplies required for meetings and special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school education or equivalent preferred.
- One year or more years of experience preferred.
- Valid driver's license preferred.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to read and write such as to be able to read labels on cleaning and detergent materials, disinfecting solutions, and so forth.
- Ability to operate large, powered vacuum cleaners, cleaning and buffing equipment.
- Ability to interact and/or work with faculty, students, staff, and visitors in a respectful and courteous manner.
- Ability to lift, carry or otherwise move and position objects and materials weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to stand, walk or otherwise move about campus on a continuous basis.
- Ability to ascend/descend stairs on a regular basis in order to sufficiently clean them.
*NOTE: Schedule - Monday -Friday 3:00p -11:30p
**This is a Bargaining Unit position. All newly hired employees in Bargaining Unit positions shall be considered probationary employees until completion of 90 calendar days of employment. These employees shall become members of the Bargaining Unit if this employment continues beyond four months. The university will notify the employees union. Bargaining Unit employees shall become eligible for benefits upon completion of their probationary period.
Classified Title: Custodian - 2nd Shift
Working Title: Custodian - 2nd Shift
Starting Salary Range: $15.91 per hour, increases to $18.38 after 12 months
Employee group: Casual status with full-time schedule during 90 day probationary period. 40 hour work week from start date
Schedule: Monday -Friday 3:00p -11:30p
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Custodial Services
Personnel area: University Administration
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.