Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108850-en_US
Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures (JHTV) supports the commercialization of university technology through technology licensing, the development of corporate research collaborations, and venture creation.
We are seeking a Sr. Technology Licensing Associate. Reporting to the Director of Licensing, this position independently manages a portfolio of science technologies in order to source, negotiate, and execute high-value, intellectual property licenses.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Provides sell-side and business development activities around intellectual property commercialization.
- Develops positive relationships with inventors with the intention of identifying attractive JHU technologies for licensing to start-up or established companies.
- In concert with peers, makes decisions around patenting, marketing, and licensing of JHU inventions.
- Engages with investors and companies to determine their needs and identify applicable JHU technologies for licensing.
- Negotiates high-value intellectual property licenses for optimal deal structure, valuation, and compliance.
- Works under the direct supervision of the Director of Licensing in evaluation, marketing, and agreement negotiation activities. May manage or mentor junior personnel as assigned.
- Makes recommendations but not final decisions concerning investments in technologies.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to understand complex technologies.
- Knowledge and experience in negotiating business contracts, especially in technology licensing.
- Knowledge and experience in life sciences, physical sciences, or medical devices preferred.
- Experience in marketing and sales of intellectual property desired.
- Able to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Demonstrate outstanding work ethic, desire, and ability to work in a fast-paced,
- high-expectation environment.
- A self-starter capable of handling a docket of highly technical inventions, managing a complex patent portfolio, and marketing and licensing technology with minimal supervision.
- An advanced Degree is required.
- A minimum of 4 years of licensing and technology transfer experience.
- This position does not allow for education or experience substitutions.
- U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident required due to Federal Export Controls.
- Ph.D., or combination of degrees in the sciences with an MBA strongly preferred.
Classified Title: Sr. Technology Licensing Associate
Min/Mid/Max Salary Range: $96,950-$133,350-$169,760 (Commensurate with experience)
Employee Group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F, 8:30am-5pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/School of Medicine Campus
Department name: Tech Transfer
Personnel area: Academic and Business Centers
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
- U.S. Citizenship or Legal Permanent Residency is required due to Federal Export Controls.
- Sponsorship is not offered for this position.
- Ph.D. or combination of advanced degrees in the sciences with an MBA strongly preferred.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.