Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108707-en_US
Under the supervision of the Director of University Financial Aid Compliance, we are seeking a Assistant Director, University Financial Aid Compliance who will be responsible for assisting in the assessment of all existing controls and practices, and identifying areas where improvement is needed in relation to Federal Title IV regulations, requirements, and best practices. Under the guidance of the Director, the position serves as a regulatory resource for the Student Enrollment and Account Management (SEAM) as well as all Hopkins School based Financial Aid Offices and their staff (Homewood, Carey Business School, School of Education, Peabody Institute, School of Advanced International Studies, School of Medicine, Bloomberg School Public Health and the School of Nursing), along with providing guidance, support, and necessary training to all staff in the area of regulatory compliance. The overriding goal of the position is to assist the Director to ensure all Schools maintain an acceptable level of uniformity, consistency and quality in addition to adhering to all applicable regulatory requirements.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- The Assistant Director of University Financial Aid Compliance will be responsible for report analysis and troubleshooting, auditing samples of financial aid files to assess specific processes, researching regulatory changes, helping evaluate systematic problems, helping to communicate and implement guidance, create and present training on relevant topics, and assist in the development of policies and procedures as needed.
- He/she will 1) perform random quality assurance testing on processed financial aid files as directed, 2) research regulatory questions, 3) assist to ensure all regulatory reporting and compliance audit requirements are administered proactively and successfully, 4) help to provide subject matter expertise and materials for all related training, 5) assist in the coordination of information gathering for annual financial aid audits, 6) review and provide feedback regarding exception reports for assigned Schools, and 7) will assume other duties as assigned by the Director of University Financial Aid Compliance. The Assistant Director of University Financial Aid Compliance will assist in reviewing and providing guidance for the development of federally compliant content for financial aid web sites at all the JHU Schools; and help to ensure overall compliance with federal consumer information and disclosure requirements.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of Title IV laws and regulations. Experience with determining financial need, performing file review and verification, and awarding students.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Advanced Excel skills for managing and presenting data.
- Strong conceptual, logical, analytical, and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to effectively present and train using a variety of platforms.
- Ability to work well with a variety of people.
- Strong organization and time management skills.
- Can manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- One-year related experience.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Master's Degree.
- Three years or more of direct experience in monitoring and interpreting Title IV regulations, along with hands on experience managing the federal student aid programs within a university setting strongly preferred.
- Experience with PowerFAIDS and OnBase is also preferred.
Classified Title: HSA Financial Aid Administrator
Working Title: Assistant Director, University Financial Aid Compliance
Starting Salary Range: $54,080-$74,390-$94,710 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 5 days / 37.50
Exempt Status: Exempt
Department name: Student Financial Services
Personnel area: University Student Services
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.