Germantown - Silver Spring, Maryland
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108463-en_US
Hopkins Athletics is multidivisional department with 22 programs competing at the NCAA DIII level and two programs (men's and women's lacrosse) competing at the NCAA Division I level (BIG 10 Conference). The department also hosts a variety of robust recreational activities such as club sports, intramurals, and fitness programming.
In the summer of 2021, the department completed a $27 million dollar renovation and expansion of the Ralph S. O'Connor Center for Recreation and Well-Being. This facility will feature all new state-of-the-art equipment for strength and cardiovascular training, expanded group exercise offerings, and mindfulness and meditation programming. The focus is on fostering holistic student health and a community of care.
The Hopkins Athletics department seeks an innovative and forward-thinking Assistant Director, Recreation. The Assistant Director must operate within the framework of a best-in-class recreation department at Johns Hopkins University. A specialized position, unique to Johns Hopkins, the individual is responsible for managing all aspects of the Ralph S. Connor Recreation Center and the Aquatic Center. Hopkins encourages inquiries from candidates who value professional and personal development and will actively contribute toward a culture of inclusiveness within both the department and University setting.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing daily operations of the Ralph S. Connor Recreation Center (open Monday through Sunday 114 hours/week).
- Responsible for scheduling and setting up for all activities held in the Recreation Center.
- Manages special events for the Department of Athletics and Recreation.
- Directly supervise two full-time security desk monitors, and 20 student desk monitors, two bargaining unit equipment room staff and approximately 20 student equipment room monitors.
- Responsible for recruitment and selection of instructor/lifeguard staff (approximately 25 students).
- Hire, train and direct 12 student facility managers to supervise the centers during evenings, weekends, and special events.
- Responsible for the oversight of the daily operations of the Aquatic Center.
- Responsible for maintaining water and air quality and compliance with federal, state and local laws (Baltimore City Health Department) for the competition/recreation swimming pool and therapy pool in the Cordish Lacrosse Center.
- Supervision would also include troubleshooting mechanical and chemical systems, scheduling maintenance and repairs, monitoring and maintaining the pool filtration system, examining pool water chemistry through testing of water samples (adjust chemistry if necessary), and maintaining accurate water quality record.
- Participates in Student Athletic Training in-services for purposes of student athletic training skill training.
- Develop and implement emergency action plan (EAP) for the aquatic center; conduct staff training and regular emergency procedures practice. Monitor aquatics staff for valid certifications.
- Department liaison to Campus Safety and Security for the above facilities. Submit service requests for facilities listed above.
- Responsible for maintaining equipment and maintenance budgets.
- Responsible for inventory, purchase and maintenance of equipment for the recreation center and the aquatic center.
- Other on-call staff positions respond to standard maintenance issues in both pool and recreation center.
- Bachelors Degree.
- 3 years related work experience.
- Current CPR/First Aid/AED certification.
- Knowledge of facility management software, filtration and chemical injection systems, and thorough knowledge of pool chemistry.
- Knowledge of Occupational Safety and Health Act to assure compliance and public safety.
- Masters Degree.
- CPO (Certified Pool Operator) preferred or able to obtain immediately.
- Current Water Safety/Lifeguard Instructor Trainer certification preferred.
- Knowledge of Ultra Violet (UV) filtration system preferred.
Classified Title: Recreational Facilities Supervisor
Working Title: Assistant Director, Recreation
Role/Level/Range: ATO 40/E/03/OG
Starting Salary Range: $48,464.$66,560-$84,860 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: M-F 8:30-5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Recreation
Personnel area: University Student Services
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.