Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108329-en_US
The Executive Assistant will provide high-level administrative and project/issue tracking support to the Vice President of Johns Hopkins Facilities and Real Estate (JHFRE) department and assigned staff. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience working in a fast-paced, executive environment. Attention to detail and experience dealing with complex, multi-variable issues are required as are consummate skills in diplomacy, discretion, and confidentiality. The Executive Assistant plays a critical role whose contributions to a team-based and cross-trained environment will advance the goals of the VP and the JHFRE team.
Essential Administrative Job Functions:
- Administratively support the Vice President. Exercise a high level of independent judgment in triaging requests and resolving issues for a variety of constituencies. Effectively communicate with academic and administrative leaders, faculty, and other staff, on behalf of the Vice President.
- Working closely with the VP, process and triage incoming email for the VP. Ensure email is correctly acknowledged and tracked in a timely manner and that all issues are appropriately vetted and addressed.
- Schedule appointments for the Vice President, anticipate and resolve schedule conflicts, and serve as a point of contact for VP office. Organize meetings, prepare meeting materials, meeting rooms, AV equipment, refreshments, full lunches when needed, and/or travel where necessary. Manage task files and follow up daily on activities and projects, staying informed regarding on-going projects for the Vice President.
- Draft and/or proof-read and copy-edit correspondence requiring leaderships signature, ensuring accuracy, clarity and standardized formatting.
- Coordinate travel logistics including transportation, accommodations, and meals; schedule meetings and create an itinerary to include bios and other support materials as necessary.
- Process expenditures (including travel) for payment, reconcile accounts, and monitor expenses within budgetary framework.
- Prepare, approve, and/or serve as backup for financial transactions (purchase orders, online payments, purchase cards, transfers, and others). Reconcile assigned accounts on a monthly basis and identify/resolve financial discrepancies.
- Support the coordination of special events sponsored by JHFRE. This may include planning the event, location, menu, equipment, invitations, attendance and reservations, preparation of materials, and briefing and preparing the VP for the event.
- Resolve administrative issues and problems that arise throughout the course of the day.
- Team with other administrative staff within the department, providing guidance, planning, problem solving, back up support, and other related collaborative issues.
- Other duties as assigned for other VP JHFRE leadership.
Essential Executive Support Job Functions:
- Ensure that the VP is fully prepared for meetings and appearances, including compiling and preparing materials, confirming meeting details and expectations. Prepare and/or review briefings. Conduct internet-based and other research to prepare for meetings (e.g., providing biographies or information about individuals or organizations).
- Plan, write, edit and manage distribution of letters, memoranda and other communications from the VP, in partnership with the VP.
- Assist in administering periodic staff meetings by helping to organize an agenda, sending out advance notifications, as well as reminders, copying and distributing materials.
- Prepare materials and detailed presentations in a readily usable and easily understood format to support key projects and other work undertaken by the VP. This requires initiative in learning and understanding the priorities for the VP as well as all of JHFRE.
Special Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Highly motivated self-starter with the ability to apply strong planning and management skills to a range of administrative work/situations as needed with efficiency.
- A demonstrated attention to detail and organizational skills are critical as the successful candidate will be required to track and/or manage various projects and priorities simultaneously while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Develop institutional relationships based on a level of understanding and knowledge of the University and its internal and external relationships. Communicate regularly with individuals and groups across the JH institutions and with external constituents.
- Exchange and coordinate information using tact, accuracy, clarity and persuasion. Adept in effectively communicating through strong oral and writing skills. Experienced in writing and editing professional letters, reports, and documents.
- Fluency in use of diverse software applications, such as spreadsheets and graphics packages to assemble, manipulate and/or format data and reports fluent skill level in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook), SAP (preferred), and skilled in online research.
- Proficient in upholding a high level of confidentiality through adherence to established protocols and guidelines.
This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Five years' experience in providing progressively responsible administrative support with experience working on a wide variety of special projects and special assignments required.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional related experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position for extended periods of time.
- Ability to operate a computer and other equipment on a frequent basis.
- Ability to frequently communicate with coworkers.
- Ability to move about.
- Administrative experience in the real estate industry preferred.
Classified Title: Executive Assistant
Working Title: Executive Assistant, VP JHFRE
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/03/OG
Starting Salary Range: Min $23.30- Mid $32.00- Max $40.80 (hourly rate)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday 7.5 hours
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: JH at Keswick
Department name: 10001594-JHFRE Administration
Personnel area: University Administration
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.