Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108061-en_US
Healthcare on The Spot (The Spot) provides specialized clinical care and harm reduction services primarily for people who use drugs (PWUD) in a mobile, integrated care van. We are seeking a Physician Assistant who will have a scope of service that includes managing patients living with opioid use disorder, hepatitis C, HIV providing Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) to prevent HIV, wound care, mental health disorders like anxiety and depression and sexually transmitted infections. Though most of the clinical time will be spent on the mobile van, the provider may provide clinical services in other non-traditional settings like drop-in centers, or alongside outreach teams, meeting people where they are in the community. Medical care will include obtaining a medical history, performing appropriate physical examinations, assessing patient's problems, and resolution of identified problems by appropriate medical management.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Examines and evaluates all new and return patients and documents findings. This is to include, as needed: medical history, physical examination, written orders for medications, diagnostic tests, and review of results of bacteriologic and laboratory examinations.
- Implements protocols for treatment, monitoring adverse effects, and, recognizing that the condition of individual patients may occasionally require a medical decision to alter certain aspects of these protocols.
- Completes all forms requiring the attention of a clinician, i.e., insurance, vocational rehabilitation, social services, automated information management input documents and abstracts patient records as required.
- Provides consultations, makes patient referrals and arranges general hospitalization with appropriate medical care providers.
- Participates in in-service training and supervises clinical training of approved students and physicians-in-training.
- Participates in research activities authorized by Johns Hopkins University (JHU) and Baltimore City Health Department (BCHD).
- Counsels patients, providing disease information about treatment, prevention follow-up care, sex partner referral and contraception as appropriate.
- Performs related tasks as assigned.
- Provides Emergency Services to the Department as needed.
- Works with BCHD outreach and Disease Intervention Specialists to identify, locate and attempt to re-engage people who have been out of healthcare for HIV/HCV/STDs.
- Maintain a current and valid license in accordance with the respective governing board.
- Serve as driver for the mobile clinic (only standard driver's license required) and maintain general maintenance for the van.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Certification by the NCCPA or similar national certifying body; Completion of a CAAHEP certified Physician Assistant program. Must be licensed as PA in State of Maryland or other state where practicing.
- Experience may be considered in lieu of bachelor's degree, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
- Current American Heart Association or American Red Cross CPR certification required. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment.
- Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.
- Valid driver's license required.
- WOCN wound care certification preferred.
- Formative experience providing care for patients living with OUD/HCV/HIV/PrEP/STIs/wounds.
- Experience working with populations experiencing homelessness and mental health disorders.
- Ability to work with culturally diverse patient, staff and community populations.
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary, multi-organizational team setting.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and follow through.
- Sitting, standing and walking for extended period.
- Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction.
- Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s).
- Ability to move standard equipment through a hospital or clinical environment.
- Ability to drive motor vehicle (mobile van).
Classified Title: Physician Assistant
Starting Salary Range: $100,00 - $116,600 - $148,390 (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM DOM ID BCHD
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.