Germantown - Silver Spring, Maryland
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108196-en_US
We are seeking a Teaching Assistant-EEI In-Person. Explore Engineering Innovation is based on an introductory engineering course taught to undeclared freshmen engineering students at JHU. EEI covers a range of fundamental engineering topics including materials science, computer science, civil, mechanical, and chemical engineering. The course includes lectures but focuses on hands-on lab experiments and group data analysis. Graded coursework includes lab reports, homework assignments, a group presentation, and a design project. Students have the opportunity to earn three credits from Johns Hopkins University. Ultimately, the goal of the course is to expose students to engineering principles, allow them to apply the math and science they learn in high school to solving real world problems, and to help students develop critical thinking skills.
Each class of EEI consists of 16-24 students with diverse academic backgrounds. Each class is team-taught by a PhD-level engineer and a high school teacher who teaches a STEM discipline. Select sections of EEI also have assigned to them a Teaching Assistant (TA). The role of the Teaching Assistant is to support the teaching efforts of the Instructor and Teaching Fellow.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Must be present and available during the entire course.
- Must be prepared to spend time independently to review course materials and complete the online training program prior to the first day of the course.
- Must work with the Instructor and Teaching Fellow to develop a sense of community for the high school students participating in the class.
- Will work with the Instructor and Teaching Fellow to answer student questions during in-class activities.
- Will assist with grading homework. They must ensure that students receive their graded assigned work promptly within 1-2 days of the assignment due date and provide detailed feedback to students so that they are able to learn from the activity and improve their future performance.
- May be asked to hold study sessions to assist students and their understanding of lectures, labs, assignments, and projects.
- Must ensure that child safety protocols are upheld.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Must have completed the Explore Engineering Innovation course (formerly called Engineering Innovation) and received a letter grade.
- Availability to teach July 3 to July 28, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. A few of our sites operate on a different schedule. Please check visit website (http://ei.jhu.edu/locations/) for site-specific dates and times.
- Availability to participate in pre-course training is required.
- Must be punctual, have a positive attitude, and treat students with respect.
- Must also be able to effectively communicate both orally and in writing. A strong understanding of general engineering principles is preferred.
- Must have a positive attitude and generate enthusiasm for engineering in the classroom.
Special Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Must have knowledge of Trigonometry, Algebra 2, and Physics.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications
- Familiarity with Canvas or similar LMS.
- Proficient with the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams.
- Proficient with Zoom or similar video conferencing software
- Access to remote/virtual work environment for training prior to course.
- Physical presence required during the course.
Classified Title: Tutorial Assistant
Working Title: Teaching Assistant - EEI In-Person
Starting Salary Range: $15.00-$20.40-$25.50 HRLY (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Casual / On Call
Schedule: Monday - Friday Varies
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Pre-Collegiate Programs Students_Casuals
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.