Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108125-en_US
We are seeking a Research Technologist.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Follows established procedures or protocols and utilizes aseptic technique to perform laboratory tests and/or experiments that may include basic tissue & cell culture, maintaining cell lines, cell separation methods, electrophoretic separations, assays, basic molecular biology, or other specialized histology and biological science techniques.
- Identify and resolves common problems involved in routine research assays. Understands the role of senior lab members and accepts constructive guidance. Increases own skill base and knowledge of lab research and relevant assays.
- Train users in standard equipment operation and routine lab techniques and procedures.
- Gain problem-solving skills through progressive training, understanding of the research, and experience. Position will progress into more responsibility including basic molecular biology sample processing.
- Protein purifications.
- Learn and optimize Cryo-EM sample preparation.
- Create stocks for cell culture.
- Determine concentration and volume of DNA and protein samples using various instruments.
- Maintain timely and accurate laboratory records (electronic and written).
- Collect, organize, interpret and submit experimental data to database and supervisors.
- Perform general lab maintenance duties.
- Perform validation tests of lab reagents.
- Participate in project teams.
- Communicate effectively to supervisor and team members.
- Perform miscellaneous related duties as assigned.
- Participate weekly Team Meetings and Data Meetings
- Recording data resulting from cellular/molecular biology experiments Accountable for laboratory management, involving tracking supply inventories and ensuring availability of laboratory reagents and material.
Special Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Working knowledge of Excel.
- Perform reasonable job duties even if not part of the job description, as assigned by the Principal Investigator or laboratory supervisor.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills required.
- Independent and self-motivated, needing little to no supervision.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Ability to manage multiple and competing priorities required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrated strong, positive interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively across disciplines.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
- Some related post-undergraduate work experience preferred.
- Some related post-undergraduate work experience preferred.
Classified Title: Research Technologist
Starting Salary Range: $15.00-$20.40-$25.50 HRLY (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:30 - 5:00
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Biophy Biophys and Biophys Chemistry
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.