Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 108096-en_US
We are seeking a Research Technologist. The purpose of this position is to assist in research activities on-going in the laboratory. In particular, this person will oversee the day-to-day operations related to the laboratory; maintain the mouse breeding colony; maintain record keeping system; and ensure compliance with the University and/or agency regulations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Primary duties include conducting research, which involves molecular techniques.
- Mice genotyping and breeding i.e. breed and genotype transgenic mice for experiments.
- Assisting with biochemical and immunohistochemistry experiments e.g. conduct research on the molecular mechanisms of synaptic plasticity using the transgenic animals.
- Computer work will include data analyses and data maintenance i.e. use of data analysis software, create backups, use word processing software to create documents.
- Supervising and maintaining the physical organization of the laboratory including monitoring inventory levels of lab supplies, purchasing supplies as needed or requested, maintaining appropriate records for all purchases.
- Ensuring that the lab is clean, organized and in compliance at all times.
- Bachelor's Degree in Biology, Chemistry or related field.
- Some related post-undergraduate work experience preferred.
- B.S. degree or equivalent in the fields of neuroscience or biological sciences strongly preferred.
- Some related post-undergraduate work experience preferred.
- Research experience in neuroscience research labs.
Special Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Knowledgeable on neuroscience, especially cellular level neuroscience.
- Familiarity with Excel or other data analysis software.
- Able to multi-task and trouble-shoot experimental protocols.
- Data organization skills are necessary.
Classified Title: Research Technologist
Starting Salary Range: $15.00-$20.40-$25.50 HRLY (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Mind Brain Institute
Personnel area: School of Arts & Sciences
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.