Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 107742-en_US
We are seeking a Building Maintenance Technician who will oversee the operation of all building systems for the Evergreen Museum & Library (EML) including grounds and the Carriage House. The Technician acts as the primary point of contact for all contractors to EML and serves as the security manager for the site.
The Technician works a 37.5 hour work week with flexible hours in order to provide early access to the facility for contractors as needed. The Technician responds to telephone calls from JHU Campus Security and/or EMLs Security System outside of scheduled work hours and arrives on site at EML in response to security issues outside of scheduled work hours as needed.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Schedule routine and special service of building and building systems including fire and security alarms, HVAC systems, extermination, and other outside companies.
- Work closely with JHU Museums Budget Specialist to obtain proposals from outside contractors and reviews invoices for all services rendered.
- Coordinate all aspects of contracts with outside contractors including, but not limited to, landscaping contractors, snow removal services, tree services, HVAC contractors, roofers, electricians, awning installers, and carpenters.
- Research, source, oversee, and maintain EMLs phone system including but not limited to installation of new lines and system upgrades.
- Maintain visitor and contractors sign in sheet and records.
- Act as primary point of contact for end user support.
- Issue JIRA tickets as needed for IT support.
Facilities Maintenance & Museum Support
- Oversee all building systems operations and physical plant concerns.
- Work closely with Sheridan Libraries Facilities Director and staff on execution of capital building projects at EML.
- Lead museums integrated pest management program collaborating with museum collections staff as needed.
- Work with JHU Central Facilities to execute maintenance requests for EML; submit Central Facilities work orders and track work of all JHU facilities departments.
- Order all supplies for building maintenance and operations.
- Collaborate with Private Events staff on event schedules, event security, event deliveries, landscaping needs, and tent set-up for Upper Garden events.
- Assist with installation and de-installation of permanent and temporary exhibits in gallery space and period rooms.
- Set up and break down tables, chairs, AV, and other amenities as needed for museum programs and museum events; schedule and oversee parking attendants for museum programs.
- Support collections staff on collections maintenance tasks, such as moving, cleaning, and storage of collections items.
- Plan and execute special facilities projects including, but not limited to, period and non-period room upgrades and disposal of redundant and antiquated non-accessioned items.
- Oversee and carry out general cleaning of property including regular watering of plantings as needed.
- Oversee part-time cleaning staff.
Security, Safety & Emergency Preparedness
- Maintain key and alarm access records for EML employees and MSEL staff with access to EM.
- Train employees on accessing EML as related to job function.
- Hold training classes as needed for all new JHU Security officers responding to EML.
- Participate as a key team member in EMLs emergency preparedness planning and execution including but not limited to acting as first point of contact for emergency incidents in building and on grounds.
- Work with the JHU safety office to comply with JHU safety rules and city codes.
- Oversee weekend security staff.
- High school diploma/GED required, associates or undergraduate degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years previous facilities experience required.
Classified Title: Building Maintenance Technician
Role/Level/Range: ATO 37.5/02/OD
Min/Mid/Max Hourly Range: $15.70/ $21.65/ $27.55 (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: Homewood Campus
Department name: Evergreen Museum & Library
Personnel area: Libraries
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
This position must be worked 100% on-site in Baltimore, MD
This position does not offer sponsorship
This position is not union based
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.