Germantown - Silver Spring, Maryland
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 107521-en_US
We are seeking an Ophthalmic Technician Training Program Manager.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Hire, train and administrate floating ophthalmic technicians.
- Set up didactic sessions with testing.
- Coordinate daily distribution of float pool technicians with the needs of each clinical service at the East Baltimore campus and all satellites.
- Determine degree of urgency of re-staffing requests from clinics.
- Post requests from clinics and tech assignments on calendar.
- Monitor, review and approve time and attendance.
- Conduct performance reviews for each technician.
- Monitor, review, approve travel and expense reports.
- Collect tech use and submit monthly to Accounting for billing.
- Act on resignations and terminations.
- Manage the apprenticeship program that maintains a pool of ophthalmic technicians able to support the entire Wilmer system.
- Assess and enhance the Float Pool training program to ensure it continues to meet organizational needs and adheres to regulatory requirements.
- Chair the Technician Education and Advisory Committee to build and implement procedures for technician certification.
- Conduct annual testing of technician's skills testing and medical emergency handling.
- Develop and monitor study groups for all Wilmer technicians to obtain any level JCAHPO certification. Track initial certification and recertification for all Wilmer technicians.
- Obtain and distribute AAO Home Study Course textbooks and online exams.
- Coordinate with Wilmer HR representative about status of all technician's certification.
- Coordinate and participate in Environmental Grand Rounds twice a year in each clinic, both downtown and in satellites.
- Coordinate with each clinics Lead Technician, Manager, Hospital Epidemiology & Infection Control representative, School of Medicine Safety Environment and Joint Commission representatives.
- Conduct annual Technician competency assessment for all Technicians.
- Assess topics for relevance and regulatory compliance.
- Develop administration or performance and recording of results.
- Compose and review NIPO (Nonprescriber Initiated Patient Orders) with JHH Administration. Edit ophthalmic technician protocols and NIPOs for submission to JH for review. Attend review JH committee meetings when Wilmer NIPOS are presented.
- Verify that scribe attestations are being appropriately documented.
- Collect, monitor and submit to JHH Billing Compliance Office scribe attestations for all involved technicians and doctors.
- Notify Wilmer Epic IT personnel regarding any physician and technician non-compliance with scribe attestation.
- Lecture when requested.
- Wilmer Nurses Ocular Trauma course (Recording made during COVID-19 is still in use.)
- Wilmer Call Center provide Call Center Agents information about Technicians roles.
- Conduct Medical Emergency Response surveys.
- Query quarterly ~20% of East Baltimore staff with patient contact.
- Report results to administrator.
- Perform Fire Safety surveys (10 East Baltimore staff with patient contact, monthly, recorded in V-Survey).
- Coordinate ordering and distribution of Ophthalmic Technician uniforms, system wide.
- Annually and for new hires throughout the year.
- Obtain Purchase Order, coordinate with vendor, choose styles and fabrics.
- Coordinate daily surgical instrument transport for sterilization.
- Collaborate with other members of the ophthalmic technical staff and Wilmer administration regarding general technician issues.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree.
- Four years related administrative experience.
- Prior experience in a clinical setting as an ophthalmic technician.
- Additional education may substitute for required experience and additional experience may substitute for required education, to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula
- Supervisory experience.
- Certification as a COA, COT or COMT required within 18 months of date of hire.
Classified Title: Medical Training Program Administrator
Working Title: Ophthalmic Technician Training Program Manager
Starting Salary Range: $46,560-$64,100-$81,650 Annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday – Friday 8:30am – 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus
Department name: SOM Oph General Administration
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The referenced salary range is based on Johns Hopkins University's good faith belief at the time of posting. Actual compensation may vary based on factors such as geographic location, work experience, market conditions, education/training and skill level. Johns Hopkins offers a total rewards package that supports our employees' health, life, career and retirement. More information can be found here: https://hr.jhu.edu/benefits-worklife/
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check. Johns Hopkins is committed to hiring individuals with a justice-involved background, consistent with applicable policies and current practice. A prior criminal history does not automatically preclude candidates from employment at Johns Hopkins University. In accordance with applicable law, the university will review, on an individual basis, the date of a candidate's conviction, the nature of the conviction and how the conviction relates to an essential job-related qualification or function.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.