Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 105019-en_US
The Whiting School of Engineering (WSE) is seeking an Associate Director, Corporate Engagement for Bioengineering, who would be serving as the Corporate Business Development lead for research and translation activities for the Johns Hopkins Institute for NanoBioTechnology (INBT) and other WSE Research Centers, Institutes and Departments.
Supporting various Directors of bioengineering programs at WSE and reporting directly to the WSE Senior Director for Corporate Engagement, the incumbent will be responsible for developing and conducting pro-active strategic planning/consensus building/marketing to promote general awareness of research and education activities both internally and externally, facilitating new engagements and maintaining existing partnerships with industry. The position location is a combination of on- and off-site, as needed. A substantial amount of time engaged with industry is expected. Some travel is also expected.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
- Communicates closely with faculty, identifies potential US and international partners in medical and non-medical industries.
- Develops and manages relationships with targeted companies.
- Identifies opportunities for sponsored research projects, joint proposal submissions, career placement, and equipment donations.
- Monitors interactions with partners to ensure that communications are going well and that company needs are met.
- Ensures that affiliates are made aware of all activities at the Institute, that they are given an opportunity to participate in programs and projects of interest to them.
- Develops and processes all agreements necessary to facilitate interactions with companies. Such agreements include Non-Disclosure Agreements, Material Transfer Agreements, Sponsored Research Agreements, etc.
- Works closely with the Johns Hopkins Technology Ventures (JHTV) on all relevant translational activity to the institute (high level commercialization advice, source potential licensing/intellectual property opportunities, etc.).
- Coordinates all efforts on potential corporate partner identification and relationship management.
- Implements strategic planning and development of programmatic initiatives to raise visibility and awareness of assigned units both internally and externally and to create a collaborative environment for faculty and their labs to work across the entire JHU enterprise.
- Maintains knowledge of WSE research and further cultivates faculty and administrative relationships across the entity in order to identify appropriate research opportunities and partnerships.
- Other duties as assigned.
Special Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Ability to develop and accomplish short-term and longer-term goals for the corporate partnership portfolio and development of programmatic initiatives.
- Determine the course and direction for a robust corporate partnership program and contribute to the overall mission of the assigned unit and WSE.
- Strong customer-service oriented individual who will be responsive to the needs of industry affiliates, faculty, and students.
- Able to identify opportunities for collaborations and rigorously pursue whatever actions are necessary to facilitate relationships.
- Possess a thorough knowledge of both the academic research process and the industry research and product development process.
- Able to demonstrate a proven record of success in the formation of industry/academic partnerships.
- Understand how innovations arise from academic research and are financed in industry.
- Have outstanding verbal and written communications capabilities, as well as exceptional interpersonal relations skills.
- Energetic, enthusiastic, and eager to make and exploit new contacts.
- Be both a good team player and a good team leader.
- Must be sensitive to faculty needs and work in accordance with university wide policies.
- Master's Degree in Business, Engineering or Management fields.
- Five years of related experience in business development and/or experience in a university-corporate engagement role on either the university or industry side.
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences or Physical Sciences or Engineering or MBA.
- Experience in academic technology transfer.
- Experience in program management in an academic setting.
Classified Title: Business Development Consultant
Working Title: Associate Director, Corporate Engagment for Bioengineering
Starting Salary Range: $83,100 - $114,230 - $145,360 annually (Commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday to Friday 830-5
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: Hybrid/Homewood Campus
Department name: WSE Office of Research
Personnel area: Whiting School of Engineering
Please refer to the job description above to see which forms of equivalency are permitted for this position. If permitted, equivalencies will follow these guidelines:
*JHU Equivalency Formula: 30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
**Applicants who do not meet the posted requirements but are completing their final academic semester/quarter will be considered eligible for employment and may be asked to provide additional information confirming their academic completion date.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at email@example.com. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711. For more information about workplace accommodations or accessibility at Johns Hopkins University, please visit accessibility.jhu.edu.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.