Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Internal Number: 90357-en_US
The Department of Ophthalmology is seeking an Optician who will conduct consultative sales of prescription and non-prescription eyeglasses, contact lenses, readers, sunglasses and other eyewear accessories. This role will partner with Opticians and Ophthalmic Specialists who perform refractions and issue vision prescriptions, and manage daily Optical store operations.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assist customers (patients, visitors and employees) with the selection of frames, lenses and lens treatments in a professional, ethical and confidential manner.
- Fit all types of eyewear including progressive and multi-focal lenses.
- Order lenses from approved eyeglass lab vendors.
- Track and inspect lab work prior to notifying the patient that their order is ready.
- Address and resolve patient concerns related to eyewear performance and product warrantees.
- Order and return store inventory based on Wilmer Optical expectations.
- Monitor latest frame styles and make recommendations for new lines to Wilmer Optical.
- Ensure the store is presented appropriately (meticulously clean, all boards are full, appropriate signage is in place, glasses information ready for customers to review).
- Meet monthly with the Optician Supervisor.
- Attend required training and mandatory meetings.
- Build strong business relationships with referring physicians. Keep them informed about available inventory, lab services, vendor options, product warrantees, pricing and consultative selling.
- Meet and exceed established sales goals for the store.
- Adjust and repair frames.
- Prepare and submit all daily sales reports and deposits to Wilmer Finance within a timely fashion.
- Process all invoices for payment through Wilmer Finance.
- Maintain courier bags.
- Provide float coverage as requested to other Wilmer Optical stores.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Mandatory):
- High School/GED required.
- One year of Optical retail experience required.
- ABO certification is strongly preferred.
- ABO certification is required after two years of service.
- Must maintain certification throughout duration of employment.
Technical Qualifications or Specialized Certifications:
- ABOC Mandatory after 2 years of service.
Classified Title: Optician
Starting Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm
Exempt Status: Non-Exempt
Location: School of Medicine Campus East Baltimore Campus
Department name: SOM Ophthalmology Wilmer Vision Services
Personnel area: School of Medicine
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
The Johns Hopkins University values diversity, equity and inclusion and advances these through our key strategic framework, the JHU Roadmap on Diversity and Inclusion.
Equal Opportunity Employer
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
EEO is the Law
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the Talent Acquisition Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
Johns Hopkins has mandated COVID-19 and influenza vaccines, as applicable. Exceptions to the COVID and flu vaccine requirements may be provided to individuals for religious beliefs or medical reasons. Requests for an exception must be submitted to the JHU vaccination registry. For additional information, applicants for SOM positions should visit https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/ and all other JHU applicants should visit https://covidinfo.jhu.edu/health-safety/covid-vaccination-information/.
The following additional provisions may apply, depending on campus. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Note: Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.