Job Title: Planned Giving Development Specialist
Reports to: Planned Giving Operations Officer
Internal Title: Specialist I
Department: Charitable Giving - Planned Giving
Job Type: Full-Time
Location: Baltimore, MD
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS' relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
Working under the supervision of the Planned Giving Operations Officer, the Planned Giving Development Specialist is part of the Planned Giving Team. The primary fundraising responsibility of this position is the maintenance and expansion of CRS' Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA) Program by marketing, soliciting, processing and stewarding gifts of CGAs.
This position will also support the administration of various bequest gifts, including Irrevocable Trusts, Insurance Policies, Beneficiary Designations and other basic bequests as assigned.
- Oversight and management of CRS Charitable Gift Annuity (CGA) program, including responding to CGA inquiries, and preparing CGA illustrations and agreements.
- Work closely with M&T Bank, financial planners, and attorneys to bring CGA gifts to completion.
- Provide attentive and appropriate levels of stewardship to CGA donors, including phone calls and written correspondence.
- Support CGA marketing efforts by analyzing CGA gift trends and developing digital and print mail pieces.
- Maintain all related records in ClearView and GiftWrap databases.
- Prepare reporting and other documentation needed to maintain CRS' state-level CGA registrations.
- Process Beneficiary Designation bequests, including the completion of all necessary forms and communication.
- Manage Irrevocable Trust assets including necessary communications with trusts, and updating status and value of irrevocable trusts on a quarterly basis.
- Ensure accurate and complete tracking and reporting of insurance policies.
- Work collaboratively with PG Bequest Specialist to ensure timely processing of all estate distributions.
- Cross-train with other Planned Giving staff in order to respond to donor inquiries and provide backup for the administration of such gifts.
- Stay current regarding CRS programming, news, and world events.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Supervisory Responsibilities: None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: All Charitable Giving Units including Major Gifts, Donor Services, Analytics Unit, Annual Giving; Office of Legal Counsel; Finance.
External: CRS donors and their personal representatives, attorneys and financial advisors, M&T Bank, other PG vendors and consultants.
- BA or BS minimum requirement
- Minimum 3 years related experience as a fundraiser, customer service agent, account representative, or similar field. Experience with planned gifts is a plus, but not required.
- Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, including ability to communicate effectively and empathetically. Ability to learn and explain sophisticated gifts in a clear and easily understood manner to donors.
- Strong analytical and research skills.
- Familiarity with processing legal documents and forms, particularly estate-related documents a plus.
- Computer literacy (MS Office: Word, Outlook, Excel); knowledge of fundraising databases a plus.
- Strong time management skills, a structured and detailed oriented individual who is able to work under tight deadlines.
- Requires minimal supervision. Takes initiative and asks pertinent questions, yet knows when to involve others. Good problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well with others including co-workers, supervisors and various units within Charitable Giving.
- Positive and energetic attitude, enjoys and works well in a collegial, team-oriented, sharing environment, yet self-motivated with personal initiative for expanding the planned giving portfolio.
- Friendly and outgoing manner, flexible and attentive approach, and open to many options to reach agreed upon goals.
- Understands of basic fundraising concepts and donor psychology.
- Project a positive donor service attitude in all aspects of duties internally and externally.
- Willing to acquire a working knowledge of various planned gift vehicles.
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Physical Requirements/Environment: Based in Headquarters; normal conditions akin to an office environment
Foreign Language Required: N/A
Major Responsibilities of Position: Legal, Gift Administration, Finance and Donor Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS' processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS' talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.